Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 1

I am the fiance of a prisoner in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. We have a two year old, whom we both love dearly. My fiance has been incarcerated for just over a year and has a 30 year sentence of which he will have to serve half before he is eligible for parole. There has been nothing typical ever in our relationship, but it seems to just work no matter what happens. I am hoping to reach people who just need to talk, vent and care about someone who may be in a similar situation. There are so many aspects that one must deal with when their spouse, bf or fiance is in prison. Most of the dynamics are similar, but there are differences and none of it is easy, as we all know.

I want to accomplish so much for our family. We plan to get married while he is incarcerated, which will not be easy, but we believe this is what is best for our family. Also, for more reasons than anyone on the outside could possibly know, we have talked about conjugal visits. I did not realize until I began researching the topic that the states that have conjugal visits, do not have them just for the inmates to have sex. These visits in some cases are 2-3 days in length. Family can come and spend time with the inmate and interact with him or her as if he or she is on the outside. Well, at least somewhat like he or she is on the outside considering the circumstances. This allows families to bond and retain closeness that otherwise would be lost. It also allows young children to know parents in a way they may not have the opportunity to know that parent. There are many other things that I have learned just through the little research I have done. That I will talk about in time. One more thing...I would like to start a petition for conjugal visits in the state of Texas. So yes, I am looking for people the help on this.

Anyone out there have any ideas or want support? Please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment